lunes, 9 de agosto de 2010

Call me Ishmael.

For I have lost –for the first time in my life– a book. Last week I was reading again Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, which is fascinating, to say the least; I was undoubtedly feeling horrified by Roger Chillingworth, pitied upon Reverend Dimmesdale, at times fascinated and scared before Pearl, and both moved and amazed by Hester's integrity and beauty. And I was delighted, enjoying every word and Hawthorne's tidy prose. Sometimes I even gave it a go and translated a sentence for myself, to hear it resound; I dare believe such is translation's first step and need: feeling the translation for oneself.
But then I received a call while buying my groceries, and I forgot the book in the cart. Rather than anger, I was feeling shame: I couldn't believe I had left behind my book and not notice until past twenty minutes. A search quest in downtown libraries is under plans now.
The next day I picked Melville's Moby-Dick, thinking about keeping the pace and the English reading, quite naively for I wasn't aware about the history behind the novels. I got caught with Moby-Dick some three years ago while reading a literature (mostly poetry) and art magazine: there was a bilingual excerpt of "The Whiteness of the Whale" (chapter 42) which I found almost unreadable due to such an inconsistent and careless translation. Nevertheless, the magazine is still an outstanding piece in my library: it is awful editing, but the compilation and the love behind the effort are beautiful.
On going through the introduction (which I don't normally do: I try to shed light by my own means rather by someone else's effort) I found not only that Melville and Hawthorne were contemporaries, but friends, that they had commented each other, and that Melville (being a most restless man) considered Hawthorne's literature somehow humiliated and stranded to British canonical writings and culture. But most of all, I found this:

IN TOKEN
OF MY ADMIRATION FOR HIS GENIUS,

This Book is Inscribed
TO
NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE

Paul Romano's artwork for Mastodon's Leviathan. Haven't heard it yet. Soon.

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Ishmael

So sorry for your lost (there is always a first time) Soon, you will recover it, i hope so,

Big friends, big books

Courius, why didn't you pick another book?


Welcome back

A nosy friend

Julián Iriarte (bueno, ya: Oliver) dijo...

Even though I wasn't aware of the relations between both books, I knew the language was similar due to the time they were written. So it was a sort of natural to pick Moby-Dick. On the other hand, there aren't many English books in my library.